My friends at Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies share this info about the Ethnobotanical Stewardship Council (ESC), a new non-profit organization dedicated to assuring the sustainable and safe use of traditional plants, and enriching the communities who work with them. They encourage you to check out their current crowdfunding campaign, now raising funds to develop safety and sustainability practices for the spiritual and therapeutic uses of ayahuasca.
PLUS: Watch the CNN original series This Life with Lisa Ling, where the CNN team travels to the Peruvian jungle along with a group of veterans in search of a treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and takes an inside look at the risk and promise of ayahuasca as a medicine. Travel for two of the veterans in the episode was made possible by a $3,500 grant from MAPS for public education about ayahuasca.
“At a time when drug policy is being reevaluated, and we can envision a time when psychedelics are available as prescription medicines,” MAPS Executive Director Rick Doblin, Ph.D., told CNN, “How ayahuasca should be handled in a regulatory context is really up in the air.”
You can help shape the emerging public dialogue about ayahuasca and create opportunities for people to benefit from psychedelics in the safest and most sustainable ways possible.
- Create the Ayahuasca Health Guide: integrating online feedback into a go-to, public resource to guide seekers and practitioners to make ayahuasca as safe as possible in the jungle and beyond;
- Extend Amazon field research: helping our 9 Amazon researchers interview dozens more in Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru and convene at least two additional roundtable meetings;
- Pilot test the Aya Health Guide: translating, training, and supporting centers & communities to implement safe practices and integrate results into the Aya Health Guide;
- Pilot test sustainable aya cultivation: learning with communities and centers how to best grow aya admixture plants to benefit forests and communities through higher yields, FairTrade principles, and better techniques;
- Grow communications ($5k): spreading the word with a better website, social media, and blog updates to connect with you so our work takes root globally.